Saturday, May 02, 2015
The StairsTo Marital Bliss.
Some marriages today hit the rock immediately after the ceremony. This may be as a result of misunderstanding that the before and after the "I do" journey are two different concepts. The before ends immediately after being pronounced man&wife and a fresh journey begins. To make this journey an enjoyable one here are some stairs to climb:
1) Acceptance: We already have come to realise we live in a perfectly imperfect world where none can actually be the judge because where I excel you may fail; where i fail, you may excel. Acceptance of who each of you are and what you are will go a long way in dealing with your differences.
2) Oneness: 1+1=? Don't be surprise some married couple will still answer 2. Which is very much incorrect. 1+1=1 magical, though I'll prefer to refer to it as a miraculous mathematics, the greatest. You're him and he is you. You two reflects each other. What belongs to him belongs to you too. Don't ever see yourselves as two different people, that may be the beginning of division.
3) Respect: Respect the union of you two becoming one. The respect you accord yourself should be given to the other even in double portion.
4) Accountability: You should be able to speak on behalf of each other, think and look alike. Yeah! I've seen couples that have being together like two years or thereabouts that have slight resemblance between them. Well, the focus is for your spouse to be able to fill in the gap for you in any situation where or whenever necessary.
5) Listen and speak: Yeah, I meant communication but I chose to separate the words for proper understanding. Learn to listen to each other before voicing an opinion because its what you hear that you'll interpret. If you refused to listen, there will be constant misunderstanding. So, listen and then speak.
6) Entertain: No matter how uninteresting it may look, you've got to entertain each others excesses. Those embarrassing attitudes you wish he/she could just stop already but its part of them. Even if they'll want to, it'll take a while. So, entertain them. I like the TV show Baggage. You know exactly what you're getting yourself into. Meaning: it'll be a good idea if you expose your baggage before the "I do". But if that couldn't happen, remember, marriage is a discovery channel.
7) Love and pray: Yeah, I know that this should have been the first thing I was suppose to write. Well, their place of appearance can't diminish their importance in every home. That's the point here; no matter where you find yourselves, remember what's most important and that's the bliss of your union. Prayer safe guard it. Even if you don't love your spouse but you are willing to try, you can pray love into your heart. Without love, everything I've written about will be insurmountable. Love simplifies things beyond the understanding of man. Hence the slogan "love is blind." You've got love, you've got a strong bond.
Biblical guidelines for step;
1) 2 Timothy 4:1-2
2) Colossians 1:3
3) Roman 13:1-7
4) 1 Thessalonian 5:13
5) James 1:19
6) Habakkuk 1 13
7) 1Corithian 13:4, John13