In a time like this, the simple steps that has been outlined in this article by Nwaokolo Emmy Peace should see you coming out stronger, greater and better no matter how great the challenges or how recessive the recession. Click here to read episode one and you will know the gradual addition of numbers will still get to amount to the same sum during multiplication. E.g, 3+3+3= 9 and 3*3=9 or 5+5+5+5+5=25 and 5*5=25. Add or multiply, tomorrow could be greater.
"It is no longer a news that
financial noose has been tightened around the neck of Nigeria economy. Many
have sad tales to tell. Jobs have been lost, contract opportunities had waned
while free flow of cash is ceasing by the day. For the first time in Nigeria
Industrial Unions are bargaining with their employer to reduce their take home
pay as an alternative to reduction in the work force capacity. Prices of items
in the market assumed ever increasing graphical curve. Job opportunities are
reducing by the day notwithstanding the ever increasing universities graduates.
Many vocations are being overtaken by technological advancement. More hands are
In a time like this there is the
need for a CHANGE of attitudes and styles to avert being swept away by sudden
economic tide. Below are suggested changes:
1. If you are an applicant take
the next available offered job even if it is below your dream job.
2. Buy only items that are considered as necessities. Postpone all luxurious
articles till later dates.
3. Forget about living a life to satisfy others expectation at the expense of
your purse, income or convenience.
4. Avert taking unnecessary risk in your place of work or business that has the
possibility of making you loose your job or major client.
5. Be committed to your profession, Job or business more than ever before.
6. Re-evaluate your recurrent expenditure pattern like children school fees and
effect necessary changes if found beyond your income line.
7. If you are blessed with many cars try and use those with less fuel
consumption capacity. You may have to combine outings instead of members of the
family taking different cars out for combinable outings.
8. Except you can afford it, resist all aso ebi or color of clothes made
mandatory by a person inviting you to a ceremony. Nobody will prevent you from
entering the venue even with odd dress.
9. Avert social functions that will tell terribly on your finances in terms of
distance and the content of the Programme. Why not just send 'envelope' to the
10. Let those asking you for money know that things are no longer the same:
Stop pretending at your expense. Stop suffering in silence. When the chips are
down you will be alone.
11. Notwithstanding any promise to the contrary, avoid lending money to anyone
an amount which if you don't receive on time will hurt your financial
stability. Many friendly loans will be irrecoverable now as many expectation
will be dashed.
12. If you are a tenant living in a rented palatial apartment with many rooms
left unutilized, it is high time you get a smaller accommodation.
13. Where the house is yours and most of your children are adult leaving you
and your spouse in a big apartment with less than half of the house being
utilized, quickly consider modifying the house into smaller units with the
possibility of earning rental income.
14. Plan only on funds at hand, avoid permutations based on promise made by
others. In a time like this, the promisor may fail.
15. Where it is possible talk things over on phone with people rather than
putting your car on the road for physical meeting. In addition avoid endless
fruitless banters on phone. Be conscious of the call card cost and data usage.
16. If you have a large retinue of hangers ons around you reduce the
frequencies of meals.
17. Shut all lights that are not required in your house to minimize the energy
18. Do more physical exercise to minimize constant requirement of drugs. Learn
to trek short distances, it help to improve your health and relive you of
avoidable small expenses.
19. If the regular food in your house is becoming dearer look for alternative. For
instance yam is a substitute for bread in the morning.
20. If you will bear heavy responsibility in an event, insist on moderate
programme in line with the amount you could afford."